milouchouchou
Forum Regular

Usergroup: Customer

Total Topics: 27
Total Comments: 121
Very bad meta description and keywords
Posted Aug 01, 2012 - 7:04 AM:

Hello Paul

By checking the source code of my pages, I see that the meta description and meta keywords are very bad and sometimes missing.

For the French version, on the main site

<meta name="description" content="Standard du Berger de Brie      	  		  			  				  			  				&nbsp;  			  				Standard FCI N&ordm; 113  		  		  			  				&nbsp;  			  				&nbsp;  		  		  			  				Autre nom  			  				&nbsp;" /> <meta name="keywords" content="" />  
For other languages
  <meta name="description" content="<h2>Standard of Briard</h2><br ><table width='65%' cellSpacing='1' cellPadding='2' border='0'><TR valign='top'><TD width='" /> <meta name="keywords" content="" />  

Do you have a solution for this problem that could penalize me for referencing my site.

Thank you in advance for your response.
Cordially.
Francis

Paul
developer

Usergroup: Administrator

Total Topics: 61
Total Comments: 7867
Paul
Posted Aug 02, 2012 - 1:59 PM:

The current default Admin -> Settings -> SEO -> Default meta tags is
<IF {TID} contains displaylinks>
<meta name="description" content="{CATDESCRIPTIONSTRIPPED}" />
<OTHERWISE IF {CURRENTURLCONTAINS[action=detail]}>
<meta name="description" content="{LINKDESCRIPTIONSTRIPPED}" />
<meta name="keywords" content="{LINKTAGSSTRIPPED}" />
<OTHERWISE>
<meta name="description" content="{SITEDESCRIPTION}" />
</IF>

That tells it to use the site description from admin -> settings -> system by default, the category description on category pages, and article description and tags on article pages. Would you like to use something else?
milouchouchou
Forum Regular

Posted Aug 03, 2012 - 1:29 AM:

Hello Paul and thank you for your response.

It would be interesting to display the meta description in the title of the article and its description (title and description in the database Links - fullenglishtitle, fullenglishdescription, etc.. Following other languages​​).

What is the most annoying moment is the presentation of these meta in the page's source code (line breaks, HTML tags ...)

Regarding the keywords, I found, I know the add myself in the bottom of the page, so it's perfect here.

I take this message to ask you a question:
What would be the way forward for referencing my multilingual pages in search engines?
Currently it is referenced in French but I also want it to be also in four other languages ​​(fullenglish, german, spanish and nederlands)
This would allow me to raise awareness of my website in these languages​​, it's the same for other scripts used WSN.

If this is a special project, let me know so I can pay you for this work.

Good day.
Cordially.
Francis

Paul
developer

Paul
Posted Aug 07, 2012 - 10:36 AM:

If you're using the code I posted above there shouldn't be any HTML in meta tags, because it's using the STRIPPED versions. Are you sure your default meta tags value is what I posted?

Search engines will only index the site in the default language version of a page, since there's only one URL for each page. Getting more languages indexes would require setting up special urls for each language (like site.com/en/page vs site.com/fr/page) and cross-linking all those pages (that's google's recommendation at googlewebmastercentral.blog...multilingual-websites.html ). This is unfortunately going to be complicated to pull off with WSN. I'll have to add a language-change url parameter. Then whenever more than one language is detected, a linked list of alternate language versions of each page in the header. And modify all existing links on every page to add the language parameter into it. And then rewrite the .htaccess file to use the language bit in every url. This will probably take ~5 hours but I'll do it for $130.
milouchouchou
Forum Regular

Posted Aug 07, 2012 - 11:32 AM:

Hello Paul

I just put your exact code given above and nothing works normally.

The meta description is:

<meta name="description" content="Toutes les races de chiens et les hommages" />
English or another language
<meta name="description" content="Toutes les races de chiens et les hommages" />

and should be:

<meta name="description" content="Anglo-Français de petite vénerie - Aspect équilibré et solidement construit, mais sans lourdeur." />
or in English or in the language of the page...
<meta name="description" content="Medium-sized Anglo-French hound - Balanced and solidly built dog, but without heaviness." />
<meta name="description" content="Mittelgrosser Anglo-Französischer laufhund - Ausgeglichener, kräftig, aber ohne Schwere gebauter Hund." />
<meta name="description" content="Middelgrote Anglo-Franse jachthond - Evenwichtige en stevig gebouwde hond, maar zonder zwaarte." />
<meta name="description" content="Sabueso Anglo-Frances de tamaño mediano - Este es un perro de configuración sólida y equilibrada, sin apariencia de pesadez." />

And there is no more meta keywords tag.

And everything stays in the same language, there is just the title is good and changes language.

<title>Les articles sur Milouchouchou:  Anglo-Français de petite vénerietitle>
or in english or in the language of the page...
<title>Articles on Milouchouchou:  Medium-sized Anglo-French houndtitle>

I does not change so you can see for yourself, a sample page: www.milouchouchou.com/artic...ite-venerie-32-thread.html

Good day.
Francis

milouchouchou
Forum Regular

Posted Aug 08, 2012 - 3:59 AM:

Hello Paul
I guess I will have to create new categories of languages and of course pages in relation to these categories.
Currently, I have for the races of dogs:
Breeds of dogs
-Breed has
-Breed B
-Breed Z

After the amendment, I should therefore do
Breeds of dogs
-French
-Breed AA
-Breed BB
-Breed ZZ

-English

-Breed AA
-Breed BB
-Breed ZZ

And same thing for the other languages.

I think to create a page with the flags of countries, when visitors click on the link Breeds of dogs, he arrived on this page and by clicking on the flag of the country, it will arrive on the page with the list of the races in relation to the language.
On this page with the flags of language, is it possible that when visitors click on a language, all of the site also changed in this language automatically.
This would not professional if the race page is for example in English and the rest of the French site and the visitor must change language with the selector on the top.

If I take this structure, the site will be indexed without making modifications in the script, the robots will follow the language categories and pages that are associated.

Or need to make changes that have explained?

The solution for the metas may have adapted with this project.

I await your answer or with possibly your amendments/proposals before you give the green light to this project.
Would it be possible to add a picture or an icon before the title of an article in the list, such as for categories.
Paul
developer

Paul
Posted Aug 10, 2012 - 11:07 PM:

If you do the separate categories route, the articles will be indexed -- but the non-article parts of the pages will be in the default language, which may confuse the search engine as to what language it is and probably lower the relevance ranking for searches in the desired language compared to a page that's all in that language. At any rate, on the page I linked in the last post google recommends against that: "Although Google can recognize a page as being in more than one language, we recommend using the same language for all elements of a page: headers, sidebars, menus, etc."

Would it be possible to add a picture or an icon before the title of an article in the list, such as for categories.

I'd recommend using a custom file field to do that.
milouchouchou
Forum Regular

Posted Aug 11, 2012 - 12:55 AM:

Hello Paul

For this reason I would like for example:
When the visitor clicks on the American flag or on the link "Standards in English" associated with this flag while the script automatically switches to English, same for other languages​​.
And at the same time, if the visitor arrives in this category by a direct link, and if he clicks on a breed of dog whose title is in English, for example "Atlas mountain dog (Aidi)" that all the script switches in English at the opening of this page, same as for other languages​​.

This without removing the manual selection of language on top of the page.

For the image to the articles, I will follow your suggestion.

Good weekend.
Cordially.
Francis

Search thread for
Download thread as
  • 0/5

Sorry, you don't have permission to post posts. Log in, or register if you haven't yet.