Webmastersite.net
Register Log In

When to use categories vs custom fields?

Title When to use categories vs custom fields?
Description potential for large number of categories
Message Text I'm trying to determine when it makes more sense to use a small number of categories with links that have several custom fields vs using a large number of categories with no custom link fields. For example, say I was creating a directory of college band competition reviews (I'm not, but this is an analogy). I would want to be able to group the reviews by: - band type (marching, orchestra, etc.) - conferences/associations (PAC10, Big10, SEC, etc.) - country/state/venue Now obviously, if I were to create categories for associations/conferences and countries/states/venues I could end up with several thousand categories, and I'm not sure if that makes any sense. If I only created categories for the band types, but then used custom link fields to specify the association/conference and country/state/venue, what would I be losing (if anything)? Also, I'm considering setting up a separate category type and link type to collect and display "reviewer profiles". Does this make sense... or when should you use different category/link types vs just creating different templates for different categories? I appreciate any advice anyone can give since I'd like to get this setup correctly from the beginning. Thanks!
Rating
  • 0/5
0/5 based on 0 votes.
Ownership flyingpylon
Views 392 views. Averaging 0 views per day.