Webmastersite.net
Register Log In

When to use categories vs custom fields?
potential for large number of categories

Comments on When to use categories vs custom fields?

flyingpylon

Usergroup: Customer

Total Topics: 11
Total Comments: 19
Posted Oct 30, 2007 - 8:13 AM:

I'm trying to determine when it makes more sense to use a small number of categories with links that have several custom fields vs using a large number of categories with no custom link fields.

For example, say I was creating a directory of college band competition reviews (I'm not, but this is an analogy).

I would want to be able to group the reviews by:
- band type (marching, orchestra, etc.)
- conferences/associations (PAC10, Big10, SEC, etc.)
- country/state/venue

Now obviously, if I were to create categories for associations/conferences and countries/states/venues I could end up with several thousand categories, and I'm not sure if that makes any sense.

If I only created categories for the band types, but then used custom link fields to specify the association/conference and country/state/venue, what would I be losing (if anything)?

Also, I'm considering setting up a separate category type and link type to collect and display "reviewer profiles". Does this make sense... or when should you use different category/link types vs just creating different templates for different categories?

I appreciate any advice anyone can give since I'd like to get this setup correctly from the beginning. Thanks!
Paul
developer

Usergroup: Administrator

Total Topics: 61
Total Comments: 7867
Paul
Posted Nov 01, 2007 - 6:25 AM:

I'd do those as fields. Categopries can't be referenced 3 ways at once (without a complicated aliasing scheme) while field search links can.

Whether you prefer different types or different templates is a matter of personal taste I think.
Search thread for
Download thread as
  • 0/5

This thread is closed, so you cannot post a reply.