Paul
developer

Usergroup: Administrator

Total Topics: 61
Total Comments: 7867
Paul
Posted Mar 10, 2009 - 9:15 AM:

Three new usability-oriented areas in 5.1 I could use feedback on:

1) A logo uploader. It has come to my attention that a lot of people have difficulty figuring out how to replace the logo with their own.

2) A type manager which should simplify the process of setting up link types. It automatically updates the templates, and automatically chooses the official in-template type name so that you only choose the display name.

3) Guided Start. This will launch after setup completes, and take people through the process of doing everything that a person will normally want to do after setup. Things I've thought of: choosing features (switches), selecting a basic style (at least light or dark should be available), setting their logo, inputing details like the site title and timezone (suggestions for what details and settings could go in here welcomed), setting up link types, importing links, and (if a multilingual install) translation. What else should be in this process?

Also, I'm looking for any other suggestions on how to reduce the number of people who say the script is confusing or scary to start using.

Attached Files:
babrees
Expert

Usergroup: Customer

Total Topics: 391
Total Comments: 1303
babrees
Posted Mar 13, 2009 - 5:19 AM:

When I first got wsnlinks I was very confused (still am at times, but hey I'm blonde <G>). Whilst my knowledge of html and css was intermediate I knew nothing about php (and still don't) and seeing all these {LINKWHATSIT} things all over the place just did my head in! I think there is an even bigger problem today as there are so many people trying to do a website who don't even know the very basics of anything, let alone html or css.

I think a good manual is the most important thing and that this area could be improved. Trouble is the script is so flexible and can do so much it is very difficult to produce an intricate, easy-guide type of manual, let alone time consuming!

TBH I don't think any of the above would've helped me. However, having said that I think perhaps item (3) would be the most useful. Perhaps (but again time consuming) a good idea would also be to go on to a more advanced guide, including things such as conditionals? But again, I think instead just do all this in a good manual.
Paul
developer

Paul
Posted Mar 13, 2009 - 10:24 AM:

Well we have the introductory manual and knowledge base. Is it more knowledge base articles that we need, or is there something the introductory manual should introduce that it doesn't? Should there be a section on conditionals directly in there instead just the brief mention that links to the knowledge base?

A lot of people, myself included, hate reading manuals. So my hope is to allow the simple stuff which the average person wants to be done without one.

babrees wrote:
I think there is an even bigger problem today as there are so many people trying to do a website who don't even know the very basics of anything, let alone html or css.

Well, obviously if somebody doesn't want to learn HTML they're not going to be willing to learn any logic syntax like conditionals. So I think I can safely toss out those people as being ones who'll either (a) not stray far from the defaults and therefore never use conditioanls (b) pay me to do their template customizations for them. So what I need to do for these people, really, is hide the complexity. I need to make them not feel they should know conditionals, while still allowing those who want to learn more complex tasks to learn.

The 2008 customer survey kind of covered these matters, but only two people filled out the survey so it wasn't much use to me.
babrees
Expert

babrees
Posted Mar 13, 2009 - 10:39 AM:

hmm, have to agree about people reading manuals - I never do either, but with a new script that I can't fathom out I will give it a quick glance to get started.

I think then (3) and encourage people to use the forum for support first so that other members can help them. Perhaps make up an FAQ for those simple things you are always being asked and put it as a sticky in the forum?

btw - your quick reply submit takes you to an error
Paul
developer

Paul
Posted Mar 13, 2009 - 4:50 PM:

Fixed the quick reply problem just after my previous post.

There really aren't enough customers these days to need to push the forum. I don't want to make anyone feel they can't use whichever support route they prefer.
webflair
Forum Regular

Total Topics: 187
Total Comments: 465
Posted Mar 14, 2009 - 7:41 AM:

Personally I am very used to the script and its hard to remember back to when I first used it, but if I try to think like somebody who is new to this script, particulary new to scripts in general, it think maybe there are just too many admin options and switches available, it may make a new customer feel likeit is going to take an eternity to set up a website.

Now obviously you cant and a shouldnt remove any functionality or admin options, but why not allow users to switch between and admin panel with just the most common and vital switches, settings and options; and an advanced admin panel where everything is available.

This way, when a new user first sees the admin panel, they are not so daunted by it and can findall of the switches and settings they need a lot faster. They can then use advanced features at thier will as they get used to the script.
webflair
Forum Regular

Posted Mar 14, 2009 - 7:43 AM:

The logo uploader is a brilliant idea.
webflair
Forum Regular

Posted Mar 14, 2009 - 7:44 AM:

If you do have a guided start, please, please give anoption to skip it.
webflair
Forum Regular

Posted Mar 14, 2009 - 7:47 AM:

The type manager will be one of the most useful tools the script has. Really great idea, it will allow user to set up different looks and styles for links, very easily.
peumus
Forum Regular

Total Topics: 172
Total Comments: 462
peumus
#10 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Mar 14, 2009 - 3:14 PM:

How can somebody understand how to use the script without reading the knowledgebase and also doing tests about it ?

It's impossible. So a professional manual with ordered pages from the beginning to an and end (not somewhat aleatory as the knowledgebase) will be a good improvement. This manual shall contain complete examples on how to set the script for some of the most common usages. This manual shall be more deep (detailed and with specific examples) than the knowledgebase (most of the times I felt the knowledgebase is only a superficial look at the features). Ideally a printable pdf version to study offline.

Users will of course read it. We have all readed the knowledgebase to use the script.

Daniel.
Paul
developer

Paul
#11 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Mar 16, 2009 - 1:26 AM:

The point of the knowledge base and intro manual is basically to save my time by reducing the number of questions I have to (repeatedly) answer and give me a stock answer to give the next time it's asked. A dead tree style manual of book length, requiring updates, would be far harder on both ends than having people ask me questions. I'd rather be a part time support tech than a full time technical writer, and most people would rather ask questions than read books, though there are exceptions.

If a knowledge base article lacks the depth you think it should have, ask about it. The answer will probably be incorporated.

jayweb wrote:
why not allow users to switch between and admin panel with just the most common and vital switches, settings and options; and an advanced admin panel where everything is available.

Good idea, could be as simple as an alternate menu template. Though everyone's going to disagree on what should be included in the common mode, I can base it roughly on the 'simple' setup mode.
Paul
developer

Paul
#12 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Mar 17, 2009 - 12:30 PM:

Two more ideas:

4) new improved color wizard: read each stylesheet element, pull help comment from it, and prompt for foreground and background color using color picker from http://www.eyecon.ro/colorpicker/ .

5) template variable helper: click to open popup window which gives choice of template variables to insert (for type manager, toplist generator, templates pages) based on preg_matching manual page... includes the descriptions. check boxes and click the insert button.
webflair
Forum Regular

#13 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Mar 19, 2009 - 5:27 AM:

"template variable helper: click to open popup window which gives choice of template variables to insert (for type manager, toplist generator, templates pages) based on preg_matching manual page... includes the descriptions. check boxes and click the insert button."

Brilliant!
sparkalina
Forum Regular

Total Topics: 70
Total Comments: 211
#14 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Mar 21, 2009 - 2:07 AM:

I'm a manual user myself, I don't like to bug people here (or you) and I do come across entries I think could be fleshed out with more real world examples. My worst grip is putting in a variable into the search all posts containing the link variable and nothing comes up. At least ONE post explaining every single variable contained within brackets should be listed. I'm a curious digger and I want to know why something does what it does.

If you search your search terms on the KB you'll probably see a lot of your variables...those are me wink

I'll think about this and get back to you. Love the logo uploader. I never needed it, but I can see lot of people who will.

If you want I'll make suggestions to the KB everytime I come up with a question that can't be answered by it.???

-----------------------------
babrees
Expert

babrees
#15 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Mar 21, 2009 - 2:21 AM:

sparkalina wrote:
I My worst grip is putting in a variable into the search all posts containing the link variable and nothing comes up. At least ONE post explaining every single variable contained within brackets should be listed.

Yes - I have that problem often, put a term into the search and nothing comes up! VERY frustrating, especially after about 5 minutes I find what I need and it has the exact phrase I entered into the search engine, so no idea why it didn't find it.
Search thread for
Download thread as
  • 0/5

Sorry, you don't have permission to post posts. Log in, or register if you haven't yet.