Comments on Need Advice On Cache Software

Jonj1611
Forum Regular

Usergroup: Customer

Total Topics: 33
Total Comments: 107
Posted Aug 17, 2006 - 7:15 PM:

Hi,

Wasn't sure where the best place to put this would be, I have WSN Links and it takes around 10 seconds before it even starts loading a page after clicking on a category or page number.

I had some cache software installed as a stop gap but it never really did what I wanted and as the programmer has dissapeared I need to sort this out myself.

Does anyone know of any php caching software that will cache the entire site automatically at set intervals?

The current cache software installed, caches the page when someone looks at it but seems to only store the cache for that individual person, meaning if they go to another category and come back then the first category they looked at will load instantly. However this has its own problems, namely the first time they look at the category it will still take ages to start loading.

I am looking for something that will auto cache the whole site for any visitor so the pages load instantly without the wait.

Is there any software like that around that can do exactly that?

Cheers
Jon
peumus
Forum Regular

Total Topics: 172
Total Comments: 462
peumus
Posted Aug 18, 2006 - 12:32 AM:

You can try working with Generate HTML (Admin Panel -> Miscellaneous),
but anyway I understand that 10 seconds should mean another kind of problem,
maybe the hosting service itself.
Jonj1611
Forum Regular

Posted Aug 18, 2006 - 2:55 AM:

Hi,

Thanks, the site runs on its own dedicated server. I will try putting it on a different server with another company and see what happens, though I don't think the hosting is the issue unfortunately.

Thanks again
Jon
peumus
Forum Regular

peumus
Posted Aug 18, 2006 - 7:43 AM:

I would like to mention that there's a tip I read somewere regarding banner insertions or heavy images or routines insertions, just in case you have them:

The page waits for all the banners to be displayed / routines to be done, before showing the entire page, so the page loads slowly.

To solve this you can insert each banner within an iframe and you will have all the text loaded faster and in parallel waiting for the banners inside the iframes to be showed.

You can use something like:
<iframe src="https://www.webmastersite.net/forums/myarchive.php" align="middle" frameborder="0" id="myid" width="100" name="name" height="50" scrolling="no" allowtransparency="true" style="border-style: solid; border-color:mycolor; border-width: 1px;"></iframe>

You can use something simmilar to insert a time and date php routine for example.

Also something related can be found here:
www.webmastersite.net/forum...orums/comments.php?id=5827
Jonj1611
Forum Regular

Posted Aug 18, 2006 - 7:52 AM:

Hi,

Thanks for the help, the problem is not with the page actually loading, it is to do with the time it takes "before" it starts loading, once I click on a category I can wait anything from 10-20 seconds before it even starts loading the page.

I am thinking maybe the static page generation would be better for me, but I have no idea on how to set it up or anything about programming. I would also need it generating new copies every 15 mins, not 12 hours.

Also what happens if you have put in the url of a page to cache and then you add more items then that page goes to page 2 for example, will it just stop tracking that page?

Thanks
Jon
peumus
Forum Regular

peumus
Posted Aug 18, 2006 - 8:21 AM:

You would have to test HTML Generation for your specific site requirements. Also maybe Paul can help you more after checking your site.

Kind Regards.
Jonj1611
Forum Regular

Posted Aug 18, 2006 - 8:36 AM:

Well I would be happy to pay Paul to work on the site, I sent a mail a few days ago but not heard anything unfortunately.

Thanks
Jon
peumus
Forum Regular

peumus
Posted Aug 18, 2006 - 9:30 AM:

I insist on if you are using a banner management system as for example
phpAdsnew you should use iframes as I have suggested before.
Jonj1611
Forum Regular

Posted Aug 19, 2006 - 4:06 AM:

Hi,

Thanks for all your support, I am going to look further into this, it seems that the bottleneck is end.php where it is taking ages to do anything.

Thanks
Jon
Paul
developer

Usergroup: Administrator

Total Topics: 61
Total Comments: 7867
Paul
#10 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Aug 20, 2006 - 4:07 PM:

I only recall that you asked about the javascript which you later resolved.

The problem with HTML generation is that you have to do it manually, since if you use the automatic option you still need somebody to be browsing PHP pages in order for it to run. In 4.0 I believe I've solved this by allowing a cron job wget htmlcron.php to handle it if desired.

HTML generation is still impractical if you want to use dynamic things like the member system, of course.

If you'd post a url I'd have a glance at the debug output's execution time listings.
Jonj1611
Forum Regular

#11 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Aug 20, 2006 - 4:13 PM:

Hi Paul,

Ok, being a complete noob, is it any URL you need and how do I turn on the debug thing?

Cheers and thanks for the help,

Good to know automatic generation is coming, think it will really help me.

Thanks
Jon
Paul
developer

Paul
#12 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Aug 21, 2006 - 8:47 PM:

You don't need to turn anything on or change anything, I just need to know where your website is.
Jonj1611
Forum Regular

#13 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Aug 22, 2006 - 3:16 AM:

Hi Paul,

Ah sorry smiling face

It is www.freewebbargains.com

It has some type of cache software installed but it is per user not pre-cached or anything so any new categories or pages you click on will load their normal time then ultra fast their after for 20 mins.

Thanks
Jon
Paul
developer

Paul
#14 - Quote - Permalink
Posted Aug 22, 2006 - 9:30 AM:

2 seconds on the front page -- I don't see any obviously unusual queries, and considering you have two large toplists there that's probably a normal time. 5.5 secs on interior pages is harder to figure, other than the same toplist the front page has there's not much that should be causing load.

The sheer size of the page seems to be making it take a while... it goes from 1.4 secs just before it outputs the html to 5.5 after. You could move some of the inline javascript you have into seperate files but that's not enough to make much difference.

Reducing it to 10 items per page might help.
Search thread for
Download thread as
  • 0/5

This thread is closed, so you cannot post a reply.