Comments on 5.0.0 pre-releases

Paul
developer

Usergroup: Administrator

Total Topics: 61
Total Comments: 7867
Paul
Posted Apr 26, 2008 - 5:43 AM:

WSN 5.0 will introduce some important structural changes which cut ties with PHP 4. Taking adavantage of PHP 5 for new simplification and automation will mean short term bugs, but a more maintainable code base that'll ruduce long term bugs and allow development to move faster. You'll need PHP 5.1.0 or better.

Please note that there will be an upgrade fee (probably around $40) for the eventual final 5.0 for people who made their original purchase before April 29th 2008 (no upgrade fee for new people), but not for the pre-releases.

Change log so far (much more to come): scripts.webmastersite.net/r...asenotes50.php?format=html

You can download autosetup.php to do a new install (upload, then visit in browser) or wsnlinks.zip to do things the conventional way.

Since this is currently in beta, be prepared to report bugs.

In order to autoupgrade a current install, you need to be on the latest of the 4.1 series and then open scriptinfo.php and replace
$latesturl = 'http://scripts.webmastersite.net/wsnlinks/version.txt';
$currentdownload = 'currentdownload.php';
$releasenotes = 'http://scripts.webmastersite.net/releasenotes.php';

with
$latesturl = 'http://scripts.webmastersite.net/wsnlinks/version50.txt';
$currentdownload = 'currentdownload50.php';
$releasenotes = 'http://scripts.webmastersite.net/releasenotes50.php';

in order to switch series (it'll appear in the autoupdate prompt after that change). Of course, the series change will be done by clicking a button when the final release is ready... I don't want to have people doing it accidentally now.

In my tests, it seems to update my customized templates properly from 4.1. The automatic template updates, though, are part of what needs a lot of testing.

Current projection: beta 1 in July, final release in August or September.

The 4.1 series will be supported with bugfix releases through the end of the year or longer.

Note: the google checkout option won't actually work, it's just a dummy. Will be removed if I can't make any progress on SSL.
babrees
Expert

Usergroup: Customer

Total Topics: 391
Total Comments: 1303
babrees
Posted Apr 27, 2008 - 1:03 PM:

Paul - how will the upgrade fee work and any idea how much? I have multiple licenses, plus I was in the middle of setting up my co-branding.
Paul
developer

Paul
Posted Apr 28, 2008 - 9:38 PM:

As before, it'll be per-account rather than per-license. Probably about $40. 4.1 will of course remain available to those who don't pay, and 4.2 will become available to them sometime around when the next series comes out (so the fee is for first access).
babrees
Expert

babrees
Posted Apr 30, 2008 - 3:16 PM:

Thanks Paul. Will there be much changes to the templates? As you know mine (as are many others) are heavily modified and it's not long since I had to re-do them all for 4.1.
Paul
developer

Paul
Posted Apr 30, 2008 - 10:21 PM:

There are changes, but the goal is for the updater to apply most or all automatically. Unless you've made gratuitous changes to every single line of templates, it should be able to determine what spot in your template it should replace by checking to see if it can find in your template one instance of that line, or one instance of the line plus nearby context lines from the old template. Of course, what's working in my simple test cases may run into hurdles in the real world... but you can test an upgrade of a backup copy to alpha 4 to see how it goes on your templates.
babrees
Expert

babrees
Posted Apr 30, 2008 - 11:27 PM:

Paul wrote:
There are changes, but the goal is for the updater to apply most or all automatically. Unless you've made gratuitous changes to every single line of templates, it should be able to determine what spot in your template it should replace by checking to see if it can find in your template one instance of that line, or one instance of the line plus nearby context lines from the old template. Of course, what's working in my simple test cases may run into hurdles in the real world... but you can test an upgrade of a backup copy to alpha 4 to see how it goes on your templates.

Probably won't work on mine. Besides Murphy's Law I have drastically changed the details.tpl - yep every single line <G> Also my linkbits. The good thing is that my sites are really based on just two template rewrites (for about a dozen files) with custom insert bits, so hopefully I will only need to change the two base sites and then copy over those templates.

It would be good though if you were able to supply the changes (as you do now), that way I won't have to rewrite them all again smiling face

Do you (or will you) have a list of what is new in 4.2 I really don't know if I need / want to update right now with everything I have on my plate at the moment, but there just might be something I think "WOW! that would be great!".

Thanks Paul
Paul
developer

Paul
Posted May 01, 2008 - 12:09 PM:

See the change log link in the first post of the thread. As for what hasn't been added yet that will be added, I can't predict.

Changes are listed when the automation fails on something, with context now for easier reading.
Damir
Forum Regular

Total Topics: 46
Total Comments: 136
Damir
Posted May 04, 2008 - 3:22 PM:

where is the ajax rating? I cant see it???
Paul
developer

Paul
Posted May 05, 2008 - 2:22 AM:

It's everywhere. If you don't see it you're probably not using the templates.
Damir
Forum Regular

Total Topics: 46
Total Comments: 136
Damir
#10 - Quote - Permalink
Posted May 05, 2008 - 11:32 AM:

youu are right my mistake it seams that update function dont work well in localhost....
Paul
developer

Paul
#11 - Quote - Permalink
Posted May 06, 2008 - 8:48 AM:

Works for me on localhost, which is where all my testing of it to date has taken place. I could test with your templates if you want to send them to me.
ModemGuru

Total Topics: 8
Total Comments: 50
#12 - Quote - Permalink
Posted May 07, 2008 - 9:00 AM:

When upgrading from the latest version of WSNLinks to the latest Alpha version of WSNLinks I received the following errors:

Warning: substr_count() [function.substr-count]: Empty substring. in /home/bliedel/public_html/ad_network_listings/upgrade.php on line 1156

Warning: substr_count() [function.substr-count]: Empty substring. in /home/bliedel/public_html/ad_network_listings/upgrade.php on line 1157

Warning: substr_count() [function.substr-count]: Empty substring. in /home/bliedel/public_html/ad_network_listings/upgrade.php on line 1156

Warning: substr_count() [function.substr-count]: Empty substring. in /home/bliedel/public_html/ad_network_listings/upgrade.php on line 1157

Added these items to default: general_to general_pr dateformat_online suggestlink_selectcat sponsor_done title_error general_profile article_thesingularmasculine article_thesingularfeminine article_thepluralmasculine article_thepluralfeminine article_amasculine article_afeminine genders general_comment general_event general_watchlist general_feeds general_lists general_macros general_tovote general_toemail general_toviewpage general_states general_countries general_noperm

and of course a boatload of manual template updates, which I mostly expected. Now here's the big question though...should I revert back? I may do so before you respond to me because I need to do some updating to the site and don't want to have to revert back after making those updates. It seems to have worked ok though.

Thanks,

Brad
ModemGuru

#13 - Quote - Permalink
Posted May 07, 2008 - 9:08 AM:

I take back the "worked fine". ;-) When clicking on a link's Details I get:

"We've iterated more than 2000 times and there's still a {LINKCHECKED[ in your template, so there must be a problem (malformed attempt at a template variable maybe?"

Did the use of LINKCHECKED for multi-selection items change? (This is what I am assuming.) I am currently using:

<IF {LINKCHECKED[test <,> Option1]}>Option1</IF>

<IF {LINKCHECKED[test <,> Option2]}>Option2</IF>

Thanks,

Brad
ModemGuru

#14 - Quote - Permalink
Posted May 07, 2008 - 9:13 AM:

I also receive "We've iterated more than 2000 times and there's still a {LINKCHECKED[ in your template, so there must be a problem (malformed attempt at a template variable maybe?" when I click on "Submit Link".
ModemGuru

#15 - Quote - Permalink
Posted May 07, 2008 - 9:38 AM:

The AJAX Rating stars do not appear to be working for me. Below are two examples of how they appear in the category listing:

Also, I was wondering if you have considered at all using a non-AJAX, completely CSS rating system that LOOKS and works just like an AJAX star rating system. An example of the purely CSS solution can be found at:

http://www.pmob.co.uk/temp/star-rating.htm

Details on how to do this can be found at:

www.search-this.com/2007/05...he-star-matrix-pre-loaded/

Search thread for
Download thread as
  • 0/5

Sorry, you don't have permission to post posts. Log in, or register if you haven't yet.